Monday, July 13, 2015

Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper

This book was another recommendation from my 10-year-old niece. In fact, it is her all-time favorite book so far! (That's saying a lot because she is an avid reader.)

Out of My Mind is the story of 10-year-old Melody, an incredibly smart girl with cerebral palsy. Like R.J. Palacio with Wonder, author Sharon Draper does a tremendous job of allowing her readers to view life from the perspective of someone living with a disability. It is eye-opening! While I have known a few people with cerebral palsy, I never realized how frustrating they must feel living with a functioning brain trapped in an essentially paralyzed body.

Overall, Melody's story caused me to take an honest look at how I relate to people who live with varying types of disabilities. For this reason, I believe Sharon Draper has accomplished what so many authors strive to accomplish; she has written a book with the power to change lives for the better.

Highly recommended for upper-grade elementary students.

Mrs. N.

No comments:

Post a Comment