Tuesday, June 18, 2019

The Lost Girl by Anne Ursu

The Lost Girl is a mix of realistic fiction, fantasy, and mystery. The story's realistic plot revolves around Iris and Lark, twin sisters beginning 5th grade in different classrooms for the first time. (The decision to split the sisters up is made with their "best interests at heart" by their parents and their principal.) Both girls are outraged and terrified by the decision, as they are each other's best friends and togetherness is all they have ever known.

Elements of fantasy enter in with the story's subplot. First a mysterious antiques shop called Treasure Hunters opens across the street from the library. Next an odd assortment of things start to go missing from items such as Lark's cherished bracelet to famous works of art from the town museum. Then crows, one in particular, begin to show up on a regular basis.

As for mystery, the narrator is not revealed until the end of the book, so I was constantly wondering who was telling the story. Also, shortly after the antique shop's opening a sign is posted outside the door asking, "Alice, Where Are You? (Who is Alice? Where did she go? Who wants to know?)

As an identical twin myself, I was particularly interested in reading The Lost Girl. Even though my parents never allowed my sister and I to be in the same class, I could still understand how much safer Iris and Lark felt being together.  Early on I assumed "the lost girl" in the story's title was Alice; however, after finishing the book, I am pretty sure that Iris was "the lost girl" who fortunately finally begins to finds herself. Perhaps Iris and Lark's parents truly had their best interests at heart after all.

I recommend this book to 4th-6th graders who enjoy magical stories and don't mind thinking while they read. The book holds a deeper meaning than that on the surface. It is a read that will leave you pondering what kind of "magic" you possess.

Mrs. N.

No comments:

Post a Comment