Sunday, August 30, 2020

Lena's Shoes Are Nervous by Kath Calabrese and Juana Medina

I discovered Lena's Shoes Are Nervous: a first-day-of-school dilemma at the public library while I was looking for a good back-to-school read aloud. The story is about Lena's first day of kindergarten. As she wakes up and gets ready for school, she realizes that she has a very big problem...her shoes are nervous. Her sweet dad tries to help, but it is ultimately her headband with the bright green flower that is able to listen to what her shoes are feeling and convince them to be brave.

I really like the artwork in this book. Most illustrations are colorful line drawings, but my favorite pages feature part black-and-white drawings with only a few strategically colored-in elements. I also really like the story because it conveys the combination of nervous excitement that accompanies the first day of a new school year, for students and for teachers!

I recommend this book to K-2 students.

Mrs. N.

No comments:

Post a Comment