Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Jefferson's Sons by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley

Hooked on historical fiction and excited to read another book by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley, I read Jefferson's Sons next. This book is about Thomas Jefferson's secret children, the ones whose mother was Sally Hemings, a slave at Monticello. The story is told from the perspective of three different slave children, including two of his own sons. (I love when children narrate!) The subject matter of this book fascinated me, and I found myself wanting to know more about this part of Jefferson's life. I really appreciated the amount of research the author put into writing this story; she based as much of it on fact as possible. If you are interested in getting a glimpse into the lives and minds of slaves whose father was the president of the United States, read this book.

 Kimberly Brubaker Bradley books bring important historical time periods alive and make them personal for the reader. I highly recommend this author to upper grade readers who like historical fiction and maybe even those who don't think they do.

By Mrs. N.

No comments:

Post a Comment