Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Endling The Last by Katherine Applegate

This summer I discovered a new series by Katherine Applegate, the author of two books I like...The One and Only Ivan and Crenshaw. 

Endling is a fantasy that takes place in the kingdom of Nedarra, which is under the evil rule of the Murdano. The main characters are a motley crew of species: Byx (believed to be the last living dairne), Tobble (a wobbyk), Gambler (a felivet), Vallino (a horse), Renzo, and Khara (humans). The story begins with what is believed to be the extermination of the dairne species; however, one dairne secretly survives...Byx, the endling.  This begins Byx's adventures and a quest to locate Dairneholm, a fabled moving island that hides the remaining dairne population.

Since I am only a moderate fan of the fantasy genre, I was surprised to find myself enjoying this book. I found the author's creativity inspirational. I loved Applegate's  invented names of animal species and places in the fictional kingdom. Also, the story was action-packed.

If you are an upper grade student who likes talking animals, a little magic, and reading about heroic quests, I recommend that you read Endling The Last and escape into Byx's world for awhile. You will be glad you did and eager to return when the second book is released.

Mrs. N.

No comments:

Post a Comment