Saturday, July 23, 2016

Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate

I knew I wanted to read Crenshaw because Katherine Applegate, the author, wrote The One and Only Ivan. (It won the Newbery Medal a few years ago; you should definitely read it!) Also, the cover--a boy seated on a bench beside a gigantic cat--made me curious. It just looked like a book I would like.

Crenshaw is the story of Jackson, a 10-year-old boy, whose family is going through hard times and is on the verge of living in their minivan...again. Crenshaw, a huge, outspoken cat, is his imaginary friend who shows up whenever Jackson needs him. The first time Crenshaw appeared Jackson was a 1st grader. Now that he is a fifth grader, Jackson doesn't want him around. He thinks that he is too old to have an imaginary friend and that he can protect both himself and his younger sister from the stresses at home. What he discovers, though, is that life can be a bit much to handle on your own, and everyone needs a little help, whether real, imaginary, or both.

I loved this book and highly recommend it to 2nd - 6th graders! Like The One and Only Ivan, Crenshaw's chapters are short, making it a quick read. Almost too quick for me because I wasn't ready for this beautiful story to end.

Mrs. N.


No comments:

Post a Comment