Thursday, June 23, 2016

Comets, Stars, the Moon, and Mars by Douglas Florian

While I love poetry, I do not often choose to read poetry in my free time. I decided to change that and selected Douglas Florian's collection of space poems to get myself started. Florian presents his poetry in a picture book format using bright, colorful collage-style illustrations. Most pages have cool, circular cut-outs allowing readers an early peak at the coming page.

This collection is a great example of nonfiction poetry. The fun, often rhyming poems make learning about the universe, galaxies, sun, moon, planets, and black holes a pleasure! As you would expect with informational text, a glossary is even included that defines the titles of the poems within. It is a great source of space facts.

Here are a few verses from "Pluto," my favorite poem.

Pluto was a planet.
Pluto was admired.
Pluto was a planet.
Till one day it got fired.

I recommend Comets, Starts, the Moon, and Mars to kids of any age who are up for learning about space in a whole new way!

By Mrs. N.

No comments:

Post a Comment