Thursday, June 30, 2016

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Despite the fact that I have enjoyed science fiction books such as Among the Hidden, Divergent, and The Hunger Games, science fiction is not my favorite genre. I read The Maze Runner because my 13-year-old daughter had just finished it and recommended that I read it too. I must admit that I am glad I did.

The story centers around Thomas, a teenage boy who is transported to the Glade to join other boys who have been trapped in the center of a towering maze. None of them have any memory of their lives outside the Glade. Over the two years of their captivity, the group has formed a community with leaders and jobs. Their goals are survival and eventual escape. Shortly after Thomas's arrival, the first and only girl arrives and announces that, "Everything is going to change." That is when the adventure begins!

Because of the mysterious, complicated story line, I recommend this book to 5th or 6th graders who are strong readers. Dashner keeps readers in the dark until the story's end, and even then, all is not revealed. After all, The Maze Runner is the first book in the series.

Caution: This book contains high levels of adventure, violence, and disgusting creatures.

P.S. The Maze Runner has been made into a PG-13 movie.

By Mrs. N.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment